Built Up in Christ
Listen to the Sermon audio
- Paul "struggles" in prayer for the Colossian believers. Who has the Lord burdened your heart to pray for like this?
- Paul prays that their "hearts may be encouraged" as God's love for them becomes real to them not just intellectually, but as something they feel. Can you think of times that the reality of God's love for you has encouraged your heart?
- Discuss the elements of Paul's prayer in Colossians 2:2. How could you pray these same things for the people you identified in Question 1?
- Discuss what it means to "receive Christ Jesus as Lord"? What is the significance of receiving Him as "Christ"? What is the significance of receiving Him as "Jesus"? What is the significance of receiving Him as "Lord"?
- How does the Hebrew metaphor of "walking" help us understand what it means to follow Jesus Christ? What does it mean that Jesus is "the path"?
- Discuss the images Paul uses of being "rooted" in Christ, "built up" in Christ, and "established" in the faith. What does it mean that Jesus is "the soil," "the foundation," and "the cement"?
- Discuss the meaning and application of John Henry Jowett's statement: "Gratitude is a vaccine, an antitoxin, and an antiseptic."